Operation Thor the National Anti Crime Strategy was officially launched by the Garda Commissioner, on Monday, 2nd November 2015 and will focus over the winter months on burglary and burglary related crime.
Operation Thor has been developed following an analysis of current crime trends and patterns, and will have a particular focus on crime prevention and the targeting of individuals involved in the commission of burglary and burglary related crime.
Winter Burglary Prevention
- In Winter, burglaries increase by 25%.
- Over 40% of burglaries in winter occur between 5pm and 11pm.
- In 20% of burglaries, entry is through an unsecured door or window.
- Jewellery and cash are the most common articles stolen in burglaries.
- There were over 200 cases where car keys were “fished” through the letterbox in the past year.
- Secure all Doors and Windows.
- Light up your home, use timer switches when out.
- Store keys safely and away from letterboxes and windows.
- Record details of valuables and don’t keep large amounts of cash at home.
- Use your alarm, even when at home.
SEE WWW.GARDA.IE FOR MORE CRIME PREVENTION INFORMATION.