Don’t let burglars destroy your Christmas
- Install security lighting, which will help make your home more visible to neighbours and passers-by.
- Avoid the creation of shadowy, dark areas and position the security light fitting out of reach. Better still light up shadowed part of your home and access points with motion-activated floodlights. These are inexpensive and very effective.
- Inside your home use a timer switch to turn on lights and other appliances to create the impression that someone is at home.
- Before you go on holidays ask a neighbour, friend or family member to open and close curtains and remove post and deliveries.
- Always lock doors and windows. In one in every five burglaries, the intruder has simply walked through an open door or climbed through an open window. Lock up every time you go out, obviously, but also keep the doors locked when you’re home – and especially at night. And speaking of locks, all doors should have deadbolts and patio/sliding doors need special anti-entry devices to prevent removal from their frames. Burglars get into your home via the door or window, so providing a first-line deterrent like visible (and sturdy) locks is a step toward security. Do not be frugal with your locks. A locksmith can recommend the strongest, best locks for your home
- Strong Doors
Nearly 70% of burglars enter your home through a door. Install thick, solid wood doors that will be hard to kick in. If your doors have a window, install a secondary floor lock, so that after breaking the door window, a burglar cannot reach down to unlock your door and waltz into your home. Install hidden bracing in the doorframe.
- Store keys safely, last year over 100’s of sets of car keys were fished through letterboxes or through open windows.
- If you have a house alarm, remember to set it even when you’re home at night.
If you don’t have an alarm consider installing one. A home alarm system is one of the best ways to deter burglars from targeting your home. Several different systems and extras are available, from a basic alarm sirento a fortress.
- Avoid announcing your holiday plans on your Facebook page. It’s easier than you think to look up your address.
- Lock your windows when going out. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air, to a burglar it’s an invitation.
- Keep doors locked at all times and that includes back doors.
- If going out ensure doors and windows are locked, leave radio on and some lights.
- Its important to keep your house looking lived in.
- Inform a trusted neighbour or relative if going away even overnight, A trusted neighbour can keep an eye out on your property.
- Invite neighbours to make use of your driveway for car parking.
- Have your mailbox emptied daily
- Do not leave valuables in your house.
- Call the Gardai if you see anything suspicious.