Making an observation to An Bord Pleanala re Union Café Redevelopment

Resulting from the decision of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CC (DLR CC) to grant planning permission for the redevelopment of the Union Café site we are aware of at least two appeals to An Bord Pleanala.  It is open to any resident or interested party to make an observation to the Board of ABP supporting these appeals.

The major issues the MMRA and our professional advisors have identified are:

  • Location of pub/restaurant/function room
    • Proximity to residences
    • Light pollution
    • Noise pollution
    • Anti-social behaviour
  • Parking and traffic implications
  • Cladding, Materials and Colour

Submitting an Observation on the Union Café appeal to An Bord Pleanala
Anyone can make an observation irrespective of whether or not they made an observation/ objection to DLR. You can also get together with a few of your neighbours and make a joint observation for the one fee of €50.  One person can take the lead and the others sign and provide their names and addresses.

To do this you should write a letter outlining the basis for your observation including the full grounds of your observations and any supporting material you want the Board to consider.

In your letter you must include the following:

Location/Reference number: D17A/0951/Site of Union Cafe, junction of Deerpark Road, North Avenue and Wilson Road, Mount Merrion, Co Dublin.
Name of planning authority: Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council.
Fee of €50 as a cheque or postal order.
Post observations to: The Secretary, An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1

Or deliver it by hand to an employee of the Board (not a security person) during office hours (9.15 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.) on Monday to Friday, so that the appeal reaches An Board Pleanála by 5.30pm on 31st May.  An Bord Pleanála office is located at 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1.

Do not place the appeal in the Board’s letterbox.

For more details see

If you have any questions or need help you can contact us at or contact any member of the committee.