Representatives of the MMRA committee were recently invited to meet with representatives of Union Café to be briefed on their plans to redevelop the old Kiely’s site now known as Union Café. In the course of the discussions their Architect presented details of the project which he called a “Neighbourhood centre”. In the discussion the following emerged:
- The proposed development will consist of 48 residential apartments: 12 one bedroom apartments, 24 two bed apartments and 12 three or four bed apartments. There will be three small shop units and one large unit of approximately 15,000 square feet. There is also a gym, a bar and restaurant. There will be a roof garden with glass boxes on top of the elevators and stair wells.
- The height of the proposed structure is five stories, with two stories underground on the Flanagan’s boundary and Wilson Road side.
- The proposed development extends through the current green space on Wilson Road.
- The trade entrance to the large shop unit is via Wilson Road and the entrance to the resident’s car park (70 spaces) is opposite the current children’s playground. The plan also provides for approximately 100 public car parking spaces in the development.
- When asked what we thought the local residents’ concerns may be we stated that we thought the height and scale of the project could be a major concern as would the increased traffic volumes.
- MMRA suggested that it would be helpful if they would put a model of the proposed development on public display in the function room of the Union Café so that residents could clearly understand what the project entailed. They promised to provide information and pictures for the MMRA website.
- They stated that they have no involvement or interest in the Flanagan’s site and also stated that they were not involved in any discussions to purchase that site.
As further information becomes available we will keep you updated.