MMRA PUBLIC Meeting re Union Café Planning 24/11/17
There was general agreement that the current proposal is a significant improvement on the first application, however there remain some major concerns and residents were urged to make their views known to the known to Dun Laoighre Rathdown CC Planners before the deadline on Wednesday afternoon. Anyone submitting an observation should quote the Planning Application reference: D17A/0951 . The following issues were identified:
- Proposed Façade for the building is unacceptable and should be replaced with a granite finish which blends in with the local environment and architecture.
- There needs to be serious limitations on the operation of the pub/restaurant:
- The balconies must be removed to reduce noise impact on the immediate neighbourhood.
- The pub building needs to be set back from the road; it is currently planned to be right on the edge of the footpath.
- There needs to be restrictions on opening and closing times due to its proximity to residential areas.
- Major functions with late licences should not be allowed.
- DLR CC should instigate a traffic plan for Mount Merrion with emphasis on road safety near the new Union Café.
- There are major concerns with parking and the fact that the if the current Union Café plan is approved it will result in illegal parking in the surrounding roads.
- Ownership of the green area adjacent to the Union Café site is in dispute. The owner of Union Café does not appear to have a clean title in respect of that land.
- It was suggested that a noise survey be commissioned for evenings when a major function will take place.
- The claim by the applicant that there will be unrestricted views of Dublin Bay from Deerpark needs to be confirmed.
- The need for a detailed construction management plan is key to the orderly construction of the project due to the proximity to residential and small business premises and the serious parking problems existing in the area.
Note. There is a €20 fee to submit an observation. Cheques payable to Director of Planning. For more details on how to lodge an observation/objection please see